My original radiator has lasted around 192k miles and over 15 years and has finally sprung a leak. I noticed coolant levels were dropping every few days. When coolant drops below the low mark in the overflow reservoir, it allows air to enter the system and I could hear a little water gurggling sound when I turn the car on. 

There was no visual leaks that can be easily seen anywhere. No puddles of coolant either. The leak was literally a seep. Eventually I found the cause, it was the bottom plastic section of the radiator had developed a hairline crack and coolant was seeping through. Right underneath this is the undertray that also has a factory fitted sponge like material. So any little bit of coolant that was dripping was getting absorbed by that sponge and never made it down to the floor or anything. Hence why there was no visual indicators. Given these radiators have a lot of plastic, i'm surprised it survived this long. As plastic does tend to get brittle over the years. Even if the radiator didn't start leaking, I would think it wouldn't have been nowhere near as efficient as it originally was. it even warped.

My coolant change was also due so ended up doing a coolant change at the same time. I swapped out 4 of the constant tension hose clips (2 on the upper radiator hose and 2 on the lower radiator hose)

I wanted to purchase a Denso radiator but unfortunately they were on back-order and wait was quite long and price was a little on the high end. So I ended up getting the NRF 53680 Radiator. NRF seem like a really reputable company who have been making radiators for a very long time. I purchased it from a reputable store and comes with a 24 months warranty. I used a voucher code and it ended up only costing me £64 for the radiator itself. The build quality and fitment is absolutely spot on.

Some pics of the radiator change below. If anyone attempts this, I can confirm that this can be done without removing the bumper at all.




















0 Comments