I picked up a cheap second-hand 2012 f-sport bumper for £30 which needed a bit of filler work. So decided the amount of money that will go into a quality paint job, if I put a bit more on top I could embark on DIY wrapping project and fancied a colour change to Pearl white with gloss black roof, door handles and mirrors. I thought I would give the car a makeover to freshen it up.

I chose to do the wrapping during the summer holidays. I used the Hexis brand vinyl wrap.

Some tips for anyone wanting to do any sort of wrapping:

  1. DO NOT wrap in extremely hot weathers, it's an absolute NO NO.
  2. DO NOT wrap in cold weathers either, as the film won't adhere well and the adhesive will not cure properly.
  3. I know people say to use a heat-gun, but do not overkill it with heat-gun, try to naturally squeegee it in place, and save the heat gun method for complex curves and recesses.
  4. Vinyl wrap will still be susceptible to stone chips just like paint. But advantage would be that your main paint will have an extra layer of protection.
  5. Vinyl wrap needs care and maintenance, probably more than conventional paint. So make sure you keep it clean and use sealers and waxes made for vinyl wrap.
  6. Vinyl wraps are temporary, so have a plan to remove it after 3 years. I think most major manufactures claim it can be removed without damaging paintwork within 3 years. After 3 years if it's been baking on the car there are risks to the paintwork.


Here is a photo gallery of the summer project:


































0 Comments